Friday, June 28, 2013

Ottobre 02/2013 Beckie Dress

Top stitched almost all of the seams. Not such a good idea for adjusting.

 I thought this dress had a nice shape, but the DD thinks she is too young (17yrs) for a sack dress.  I have not hemmed the dress in the photos because she is not so sure about it.
I did take about an inch off the each side from the bottom edge tapering to the waist.  I think she will like the next version better if I also take some fullness from the center panel. I think that you will either be OK with the swingy shape or just not do this pattern.  I am afraid that removing more fullness might actually make the dress worse. What do you think?

We love Pete!

Have a nice weekend!

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Ottobre 2/2013 Buttondown and 4th of July Coupon code

Nice simple blouse from Ottobre.

Armhole is a good size.

No alterations to the back or front.

And...the other armhole.

Well, this is just a nice well proportioned sleeveless button down.  I really like the front yoke shape and the just right armholes. I did shorten the length about 2 inches at the waist. I did not do a petite adjustment above the bust for this one. I usually do that for knits.  I made a size 38 and no FBA!  I have lost 10 pounds and I guess it came from up top.  The shorts are just some linen Thurlows that I just cut the pant pattern at the knee and hemmed.  The self inflicted problems that I had on this shirt are placing the front pocket too close to the placket.  This is a thin cotton floral shirt fabric from Fabrique and when I tried to remove the pocket the stitching was very prominent underneath. (Oh well..) I put that sucker back on just where it was!  I wish I had a close up of the pocket and collar. I used the templates and they are soooo nice.  I thought I would use three different seam allowances on this top and some of that was good and others not so.
I used 5/8ths SA on the sides with flat fell seams,
3/8tns SA on the yoke,
1/4 inch SA on the collar, collar stand, and pocket. I should have done 3/8ths on the collar and stand because I think I just needed a little extra room.  There is a portion of my under collar that is not holding so well with the tiny SA, at least it is not noticeable. 
The one major change that I did with this pattern is I used 2 yoke pieces so that I could enclose the seams.
Be sure to check out my slideshows of the templates in use.....

I almost forgot!  If anyone is interested in my rulers or templates from the Etsy shop I am doing a 20% off through July 4th.  It is INDEPENDENCE20

Sewing hugs to you!


Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Burda Style Shorts 4-2013 #102

Woops, thread tails!

I made these shorts for my DD a couple of weeks ago. Precious really likes them. The fabric is a net material with random cotton shapes sewn down.  It looks lacey but not really. I made the smallest size for DD. However, she has a cylindrical torso, so I made some adjustments. I added some width to the inner leg, I slashed and spread in the center of her thigh upward and let out the side and front above her hips. These are typical adjustments for her. The one major change that I did on this pattern was to eliminate the fly front and just use an invisible zip on the side.  I am just lazy like that.
The pattern called for a lining fabric used like an underlining. I thought that in no way was I wrestling with slippery lining fabric for a pair of shorts that will probably be only worn one summer. Sooooo, I just used some white poly cotton sheet looking fabric in my overflowing stash as the lining.

Easy squeezy shorts!

Hugs and smooches,


Saturday, June 1, 2013

Ottobre Woman 2/2013 #2 Top

This is made with Juliette knit from my stash.  It is about as heavy as a cotton ponte. It works just fine for this pattern.

I think I need to make the last couple of inches smaller so that it does not ride so low on my hiney.

This is the same pattern with a cotton blend knit from Fabrique! in Plano. It is a thinner knit and drapes well.

I put on the neckband with an unfolded piece of knit and just let the edge curl toward the front. It really turned out cute. I'm not sure the pictures do it justice.
Great pattern! Nice slouchy shaped top for everyday use.  The pattern pieces remind my of a mushroom.

I did a 1/2 inch forward shoulder adjustment and I shortened the waist by one inch.  I would say the only thing to keep in mind with this pattern is to make sure there is some negative ease at the hem because you will want this top to stay up in the caboose area.

Sewing Hugs and Smooches!