Sunday, May 29, 2011

Ottobre 2/2008 Cross front top

Knit versions of the same cross front Ottobre pattern.  This was my last top.  I took it in an extra 1/4 inch on the side seams just through the bodice. I put the neckline in with a 2 inch wide fabric strip as you would a ribbing.  The shoulders I bound the edges 1/2 inch deep.  The white and pink knit below was my "muslin"  for the knit version.  It was a bit loose and the ribbing application for the armholes did not lay as nice as I would like.  Both bottom bands were not hemmed.  I just did not want the added bulk.  Thanks for looking!!
,

I am on a mission to make some cool and comfortable tops for the Texas heat.  I pulled out an old Ottobre magazine and decided to try this top again.  I usually make myself a 38, but this pattern runs tight across the chest and the arms and neck gaped on my first attempt.  Maybe, I am just used to sewing knits that are much more forgiving.  When copying the pattern, I did not use seam allowances at the neck and arm holes because they were to be bound.  On the sides, I used 5/8ths SA because I needed that for the invisible zipper.  The rest of the top I used 3/8th SA. I have a link in the upper right side of this blog that goes to a "How to" video of my 3/8th SA ruler. To prevent gaping,  I zigzaged dental floss and slightly gathered the front criss cross about mid-chest down to prevent this top from gaping at the bra location.  On the armholes, I put a tiny dart at the level of my arm pit. It worked out OK, but I think I may have to rethink the armholes because the dart made a narrow curve and the binding was a bit tricky because of this.  Any suggestions would be welcome!  Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to make this in a knit. It's a cute style and I'm sure very cool and comfy in a knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerked off to your face!

    ReplyDelete